Monday, March 14, 2016

Impossibility

As a Phineas and Ferb episode so perfectly phrased it, "The only thing that's impossible is impossiblilty!"

When I started ninth grade, I was young and inexperienced to the torture that is high school, from menacing teachers, to piles of homework, to questionable cafeteria food, to every older student who took pride in being the worst bully possible. Yet, in my infantile mind, I was determined to see the positives and one silver lining shone out from all the rest. The hope. Every child endured the pain of each day of school, and they returned, day and day after. Why? Probably because it was illegal not to, but every student also had the hope that tomorrow would be a better day, a hope shining so bright you could see it on their faces. Of course, this was deemed impossible after a few weeks. But the students kept their hope in the face of impossibility.

The one thing I'll miss when I turn eighteen is my childhood innocence and my ability to believe. I relish in the possibility of strange new happenings, possibilities of the future. Every fantasy author, ever, knows that, and they write of other worlds and other times to feed our childhood innocence in the hope that it will last forever. Anything can happen, especially if it is deemed impossible. After all, nobody would have believed that we could send a man on the moon until it happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment